Which credit card should I use to accumulate Air Miles?By
Tags: Air miles, Credit cards to accumulate air miles, Krisflyer miles, Singapore Airlines
Which credit card should I use to accumulate Air Miles?
Have you also asked yourself the same question?
I realized that there are a few credit cards available in Singapore which allows travelers to accumulate air miles. Whatever is the bank, I think that a good credit card for air miles redemption must have the following qualities:-
1) No expiry date for the air miles
2) The higher the points earned per $1 spent, the better
3) Double the points earned during festive season, which we may do most spending.
4) No annual fee (hmm…. hard to satisfy)
5) Free supplementary card so that the whole family can use the same card to accumulate air miles
6) Flexibility in rewards redemption. Besides air miles, can also allow redemption of other travel related expenses
7) Low transfer fee when I convert my credit card point into air miles
So the above is my wish list. What about yours?
Do you know what are the credit cards available that you can accumulate air miles? Here is a list, though it may not be comprehensive. Lets add it while we go along!
3) DBS Treasures Black Elite AMEX credit card
4) Citi Platinum Visa/MasterCard
5) Maybank Horizon Platinum Visa credit card
6) Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Gold AMEX credit card
7) UOB Infinite Visa credit card
For our interest, I am going to research a bit on the above credit cards and see if they satisfy my wish list and become our best credit card in accumulating air miles.If you are interested in this information, you can subscribe to the regular post updates so that you won’t miss any updates.
For air miles redemption, I am more interested in Krisflyer Miles. Thus, I will gear my comparison of the above credit cards in accumulating for Krisflyer Miles. To start off, lets get some basic information on Krisflyer Miles
1) Krisflyer Miles accumulated are valid for three years. So I will want the credit card points to be valid for at least 3 years too.
2) If you have at least 50% of the KrisFlyer miles required to redeem for an award ticket, you may purchase the additional miles required to top-up your KrisFlyer account at US$40 (or the local currency equivalent) per block of 1,000 miles, using your credit card. This means that every 1000 Krisflyer points cost approximately SGD50. So I should expect to spend lesser than this amount on my credit card when I purchase 1000 air miles.
3) As a KrisFlyer member, you can nominate as many as five family members or friends for whom you can redeem your KrisFlyer miles for flight awards. This is important as there is usually a transfer fee for converting the credit card point into Krisflyer Miles. So you would not want to convert your points into individual family Krisflyer Account, unless necessary.
With the above information, I am all ready to start exploring the various credit card options to accumulate Krisflyer Miles. Join me!